Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Lukla to Phakding ( 5 Oct 2006 )

On 5th Oct, finally, we were on the flight from Kathmandu to Lukla. It’s the twin otter which can only take 19 passengers (if I am not mistaken). Cotton and candy were given to us. I put the cotton into my ears and the plane took off. Yesterday, we were waiting at the domestic airport for 7 hours, breakfast and lunch were taken there and eventually confirmed that all flights to Lukla are cancelled due to bad weather.

From Kathmandu to Lukla, it was about 45 minutes journey. Foung Yee and Kok Yuen in the front seat told me that the landing was like riding the roller coaster for them. They saw clearly that the airstrip is short and we are landing in short time from high, anyway the pilot skill is good, everything is in control. :)

We carried our bags to North Face Resort and met with our porters. We ordered the lunch and waited for an hour before lunch was served. For every meal at Nepal, we have to wait at least an hour before it served. At the corridor outside the restaurant, Ming sat on a chair relaxingly and looked at the beautiful scenery. He was joking that he will pick a land, built a house and stays here later. Indeed, the scenery here is very beautiful. I was impressed with this place from the moment that I stepped down from the flight.

We trekked to Phakding (2600m) after lunch. Lukla is at 2800m height, the temperature is cold. But we can still trek without wearing jacket. It took us 3 hours to reach Phakding. Phakding is the stop-over point between Lukla and Namche Bazaar. We stayed overnight at Khumbu Traveller’s Guest House. Before came to Nepal, I thought the tea-house will only provide a big room and everybody will sleep there with our own sleeping bag. I am a bit surprised that twin-sharing room with bed and pillow is provided. There is electricity supply at night.

I ordered spaghetti for my dinner. When it served, immediately I lost my appetite. It looks awful. However, I still try to finish it as I was really hungry. This was the first and the last time I ordered spaghetti at Nepal.

At night before went for sleep, I brushed the teeth at the water pipe outside. Brushed the teeth and at the same time looked at the snow mountain from far, definitely unforgettable experience for me.

1 comment:

  1. Nice experience wor...for that spaghetti...hehehhehehe...

    ReplyDelete