Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Dole - Mong La - Khumjung - Namche Bazaar(21st Oct 2006)

I woke up at 5.45am. Only a thin layer of snow covered the ground. Kok Yuen wish to build the snowman was not able to come true. However, Dole looks beautiful after the snow. We took a lot of time to take pictures. We slowly trekked down from Dole to Phortse, passing the beautiful rhododendron forest once again. The scenery was excellent. We were unwilling to leave this beautiful place.

Today will be the long hike from Dole to Namche Bazaar via Mong La and Khumjung. Half an hour after we left Dole, the steep uphill trail to Mong La began. I maintained the slow pace as usual. I felt exhausted and the ascent was like never ending. I kept myself moving and finally reached the top after 1.5 hours climb. It was about 11.30am. So, we stopped for lunch at Buddha Lodge. The owner was a Lama previously. He had just climbed up Everest peak without oxygen tank 5 months ago. He was tall and looked strong.

When we would like to continue our journey after lunch, it started to snow and spit rain. We still proceed our way to Khumjung. The rain getting heavier and the visibility low. We stopped at Khumjung for tea break. Khumjung is a large settlement in this valley. Anyway, we have no chance to walk around as it’s too cold outside. 2.45pm, the rain had stopped but it was still snowing. It was getting late, so we had to move to Namche Bazaar. We walked through the walled fields, climbed up a small hill and came to Syangboche. When I descended past the airstrip, my memories flash back to 16 days ago when we ran happily here. I felt happy and sad at the same time. Happy because I had completed the route and sad because the journey is almost comes to the end. I reached Everest Hotel at 4pm.

Today is Deepavali.. Nepali celebrates Deepavali for a week. It’s a big festival for them. We would like to treat our porters and guide for dinner. But only 1 porter was in the hotel. I guess others must be gone to their friend’s house for celebration. We had a nice dinner together with the guide and the porter. Tomorrow, it will be the long hike from Namche Bazaar to Lukla.

3 comments:

  1. wow..the journey will be ended soon.. weather changed from "秋天的童话" to "冬天的童话"..I miss this place so much!! >:D<

    ReplyDelete
  2. JingYee, I wanna complaint: my fren said I was too ugly, shd cut off my face wor..wa.wa..I wanna cry liao.. :((

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok...let me find one pretty photos of you and post it next time ya :)

    ReplyDelete